Why every blogger should read #GIRLBOSS

Even if it is just for reassurance that people don’t go to university and still come out alive..

#girlboss Sophia Amoruso review bloggers

I like to read books without knowing anything about them, just that people have read it and they liked it. #GIRLBOSS is a book that takes pride of place in many a flatly, or in the background of a lipstick shot on a bloggers dressing table. This book was popping up everywhere, so i bought it with the basic knowledge that it was about a “business woman” and people liked it. If you’re not like me and you actually want to know what you’re buying when you buy a book, then read on to see what i think about the movement that is #GIRLBOSS and why everyone should read it (particularly bloggers).

#girlboss Sophia Amoruso review bloggers

Before this I could never imagine actually getting through a book that centred around the creation of a business, but #GIRLBOSS is different; while you are essentially learning about the creation of Nasty Gal in the first half of the book, it’s the anecdotes that make this different to your standard success story.
Basically #GIRLBOSS is #NOTBORING. In a word where the majority of business owners are privately educated males, hearing stories about a female business owner who previously spent part of her life basically living in an anarchist commune of shoplifters, it’s no wonder this has been turned into a netflicks series. It’s the type of thing that could’ve only been written for TV, except this time, it’s actually real.

You know what type of content does well now a days? Things that are #RELATABLE. Parts of #GIRLBOSS are like the book version of a blogger meme, or any meme that resembles a time where you’re so focused on what you’re doing, that you haven’t looked up from your laptop and washing your hair has taken a backseat. The stories of Sophia running her Ebay store surrounded by mess and only really getting dressed when it’s completely necessary, can resonate with a lot of bloggers. C’mon it’s a well known fact that a large percentage of blogging is done while in pyjamas, and it makes me feel slightly better that sometimes it takes me 2 weeks to throw away the jiffy bag that the latest PR package came in. Sometimes whatever you’re working on feels a little bit like it has taken over, sometimes it actually does, know when to let it and know when to take a break.
Even though being surrounded by packaging and photography props might sound counterproductive, you never know when you’re going to take the best photo or think of the best idea, so grab the creativity when it comes along but don’t try to force it if it’s not there.

I imagine #GIRLBOSS has had a largely female readership, as a girl it was seriously motivating to read a scenario where the boss was automatically referred to as a woman. It kinda reminds me of when my RE teacher told a classroom full of girls in a catholic school, that she never referred to God as having a gender.

There’s a line in the book which i can’t remember now and can’t find, (great blog post Maria well done) but it something that as a blogger i feel is really relevant. In some respects (not all) the Ebay community sounds similar to the blogging world, it’s more than easy to find yourself bogged down and comparing yourself to other bloggers. But like Ebay sellers and bloggers alike, once you stop comparing yourself to others that’s the only time you’ll start actually moving forward and start to progress in your own right.

I picked up on another similarity between Ebay and blogging and that’s customer service, at this point you’re probably thinking i’ve gone mad but let me explain. I don’t mean customers, i mean readers. Like Sophia put replying to customers at the the top of her list, replying to readers should be pretty high up on any bloggers list too. It really puts me off someone if I’m reading their blog and every comment has gone unanswered, i know it can be hard to keep up but after noticing how it looks from an outside perspective it’s now one of my top priorities.
Also i’ve noticed whenever talking to other bloggers it’s something they notice too, often if i bring up a name it’ll be met by “omg she’s even verified but she still manages to acknowledge every message she gets”, nobody wants the reputation of thinking they’re too important to answer a nice message – get replying to those comments!

I feel like the whole book it a bit of a life lesson, but one of the best chapters in my opinion is “shitty jobs saved my life”. After working in retail for over a year, i came to the conclusion that everyone should work in retail at least once; there’s nothing like working with the public that makes you consider your actions more in daily life outside of work.
 No other job can teach you more about how hard working you are than retail can, like Sophia became obsessed with creating the perfect tuna sub, i became obsessed with maintaining makeup stands. It shows you no matter how mundane a task can be, only the ones who want so much more will take that one task as seriously as a CEO would take an investment meeting. Also it gave me reassurance that the times i cleaned sick off the floor, wiped dust off shelves and never once uttered the words “that’s not my job”, was the right thing to do.

#girlboss Sophia Amoruso review bloggers

After i read the book, i read the back and it’s right – #GIRLBOSS has given me the kick up the ass to reach my potential, and it might just do the same for you.

Have you read #GIRLBOSS? – Maria x

1. May 12, 2017 / 10:59 am

This is definitely a book I would like to read. I've heard lots of good things about it x

• May 12, 2017 / 10:03 pm

You should definitely read it, it's such an interesting and useful book! x

• May 12, 2017 / 10:03 pm

Isn't it great, i can really see why everyone raves about it! Thank you so much x

2. May 12, 2017 / 2:27 pm

I always always see this book used as a blog prop and I think it sounds amazing! I really want to give it a read. X

Kate// itskaterose.com

• May 12, 2017 / 10:04 pm

It does make a pretty good blog prop, i've used it a lot ever since i bought it ahah! Definitely give it a read sometime x

3. May 12, 2017 / 3:38 pm

I've been looking at this book for a while but never got round to purchasing it, after reading this Maria, I definitely think I'm going to go out and get it now. It sounds like a pretty awesome and inspiring read! πŸ™‚
    Lucy xx

• May 12, 2017 / 10:05 pm

aw yay, i'd 100% recommend it! Thank you for reading x

• May 12, 2017 / 10:05 pm

Add it right to that reading list! I'm sure you'll get round to it x

• May 12, 2017 / 10:06 pm

Yes yes yes! So motivational and even better reading it as a female! x

4. May 13, 2017 / 8:15 am

Absolutely adore this book and was so inspired and motivated when I read it! I agree that it definitely resonates with anyone who is creative online.

I like that Sophia is honest about her past but doesn't encourage the reader to copy her, too.

Julia x

• May 14, 2017 / 6:28 pm

Yes! It really can speak to a lot of people, ahah yeah somethings she did would definitely be best avoided! x

• May 14, 2017 / 6:29 pm

I'm sometimes like that too but i found this really easy to read, sometimes reading just doesn't work out for me but with this that wasn't the case! I'd definitely encourage you to read it, even if you borrow it from a library! x

5. May 13, 2017 / 3:17 pm

I have read this books and very much inspired by Sophia Amoruso. I even went to her seminar to get the lesson from the Girlboss herself πŸ™‚

• May 14, 2017 / 6:29 pm

omg that sounds amazing, i'd absolutely love to hear her speak! x

6. May 13, 2017 / 4:27 pm

I just ordered girl boss almost a week ago since I've seen many bloggers and other people that I follow on Instagram raving about the book of Girl Boss in the meantime I'm watching the Netflix series till my book arrive.

Michelle| http://www.brokebutflawless.blogspot.com

• May 14, 2017 / 6:30 pm

I've just finished the netflix series myself i loved it but it is different from the book, i loved both though! x

7. May 13, 2017 / 5:59 pm

I'm definitely going to put this on my 'to read' list! πŸ™‚

8. May 13, 2017 / 8:06 pm

I could really do with a bit of motivation in my life so this sounds like a fab read. I don't read very often so this would be a nice way to get into it more.

AliceΒ | alicemaysnell

• May 14, 2017 / 6:31 pm

Don't we all! Same, i often find i can't stick to a book but this was perfect, hopefully it'll work for you too ! x

• May 14, 2017 / 6:32 pm

Yess you can really feel her personality in the book, some of the stories are so crazy but it's amazing that they're true – truly written from the heart! x

9. May 14, 2017 / 1:19 pm

I am about two chapters away from finishing #Girlboss and I've loved it! I started watching the show on Netflix last night too! I so agree about bloggers not replying to comments. I've stopped reading blogs that I love before because I've left them so many comments and tried engaging with them and they've never once replied, which in my opinion is just rude!

• May 14, 2017 / 6:34 pm

I loved the series, just finished it myself! Yeah it's something i really picked up on from the start of blogging, when i was really new to it i tweeted someone a really nice message and they never even acknowledged it! I can safely say i never read another blog post ahah! Thank you for taking the time to comment x

10. May 14, 2017 / 3:47 pm

I really want to read this book, I think once I've finished my exams I'll pick this up and give it a read to boost my motivation levels!

Lucy | Forever September

• May 14, 2017 / 6:34 pm

omg definitely do, it'll give you some serious motivation! Good luck with your exams x

• May 14, 2017 / 6:35 pm

It's great if you're looking for some inspiration when you're in a rut, aw thank you so much that really means a lot to me x

• May 17, 2017 / 11:11 am

Definitely pick it up, it's such an inspiring read! x

11. May 14, 2017 / 8:24 pm

This sounds absolutely brilliant! I'm certainly on the hunt for good books – not stories but inspiring and informative (yet funny and entertaining) books and this seems perfect! I totally agree that replying to readers and staying engaged is so key and important in any success really! And the anecdotes sound brilliant – I definitely spend most of my life in my pyjamas and I'm glad I'm not the only one! Haha, great post Maria, and I love your writing style!

JosieVictoriaa // Fashion, Travel & Lifestyle

• May 17, 2017 / 11:13 am

Thank you so much for your lovely comment, yeah sometimes stories about success don't inspire you but it really works when you know they're actually a true story! It makes everything seem so much more achievable. Definitely give it a read when you get a chance! x

• May 17, 2017 / 11:15 am

Yesss do, i feel like everyone posts pictures of it and everything so you see it pop up everywhere! x

12. May 15, 2017 / 3:02 am

I haven't read #Girlboss yet, but you've convinced me I need to. Like you said, it's just so wonderful to have a story from a woman achieving so much in the business world.
    Michelle @ The Unfinished Bookshelf

• May 17, 2017 / 11:16 am

Yaaas so happy you're going to read it, it's such an inspirational story! x

13. May 15, 2017 / 6:31 pm

The series recently came up on my recommended o Netflix and that was the first I'd heard of it. I wasn't sure if it was going to be my cup of tea so I passed it over, but after this post I am going to get hold of the book and read it. I think it's something that I may really relate to as a newbie blogger trying to build up and connect with more and more people.

Thanks for this!

Beccah xx

• May 17, 2017 / 11:18 am

It's such a good book especially if you're a blogger, i just finished watching the series myself recently and it's good too but definitely dramatised for effect! x

14. May 19, 2017 / 5:37 pm

I was on the fence about reading it since watching the series but now I'm super curious to see these lessons.

• May 19, 2017 / 6:49 pm

Yeah it's completely different to the series, tbh if i had watched the series i wouldn't have wanted to read the book which would've been a mistake! The book is definitely more of a learning experience, the whole love story drama thing was made up for the show x

15. May 19, 2017 / 9:18 pm

I've just watched the Netflix series. Loved it. Haven't had the chance to read the book but I deco will be ordering it. Despite how the Nasty Gal has developed to be Boohoo's sister site, I love the sheer balls and drive that Sophia has. I need some of that! Great post and review 😊 From one #girlboss to another ✌🏻

• May 24, 2017 / 4:24 pm

Aw thank you so much for reading, definitely give the book a read, i really enjoyed the series too but it really is different to the program! You'll learn a whole lot from it! x

16. May 20, 2017 / 3:26 pm

I've watched the series but I didn't like it. Maybe it missed the point from the book as I didn't see the hard working Sophia at all, only a girl with lots of issues? Maybe I'll read the book one day if I ever run out of other options. x

• May 24, 2017 / 4:26 pm

The series is very different to the book, if i had only watched the series i really wouldn't have wanted to read the book but the book is completely different. Even though i liked the series it was definitely dramatised for effect! x

17. May 20, 2017 / 4:05 pm

I haven't had a chance to read it yet. I'd been thinking about reading it and this post has put it on 'must' list. Thanks!

• May 24, 2017 / 4:26 pm

Yesss so glad you've added it to your list! x

• May 30, 2017 / 2:11 pm

It's a great read, i'd really recommend giving it a go! x

18. June 7, 2017 / 12:52 pm

I watched the TV show but haven't read the book yet. It's definitely very cool seeing more and more #girlbosses out there, very inspiring and long overdue πŸ˜€

• June 24, 2017 / 5:50 pm

Aw i agree it's lovely to see women doing well, the book is definitely better than the series so i'd really recommend reading it after you're finished with the series! x

• June 24, 2017 / 5:53 pm

yayyy read it read it!! You won't regret it x

19. June 21, 2017 / 12:19 am

I've been seeing this book pop up loads and had no idea what it was about. From this blog post I've gathered its something i'd really like to read, and i may have to find that netflix series too. Great post οΏ½οΏ½

• June 24, 2017 / 5:56 pm

omg that's so good, i hope you get round to reading and watching it!! x

• June 28, 2017 / 4:00 pm

Yess the book is actually better than the series in my opinion but i'd definitely watch/read both! x

20. July 9, 2017 / 10:39 am

This sounds so good, I think I need to get it!

Kirsty x | kirstyeelizabeth.com

21. July 11, 2017 / 1:48 pm

Thanks for sharing Maria! Used to work in retail for many years so totally feel you there girl. I have seen this book everywhere and wondered about it, you have now inspired me to pick up a copy and read it! xoxo

• July 13, 2017 / 9:44 am

Thank you for reading! Definitely pick it up, it's something different but really good to read! x

22. July 13, 2017 / 12:48 pm

I read #GIRLBOSS last spring and it was life changing. I've been though the ringer a bit myself, so I related super hard to Sophia. Her dedication to her business is inspirational and any time I feel like I can't do it, I pick up this book, read a bit and then #KILLIT. I've been recommending it ever since laying my hands on it.

• July 14, 2017 / 9:58 am

Yess that's so true, it really is something that you can pick up an gain instant inspiration from! x

23. August 3, 2017 / 5:37 am

I never came across this book yet but my Youtube is full with #GIRLBOSS lifestyle which is really inspiring! I'm currently adjusting my life to be more #GIRLBOSS. #GIRLBOSS is #LIFECHANGER for me. That's for sure! x

SOPHIANEVE | http://www.sophianeve.com